In-Ruins residency aims to create spaces of encounter between archaeological landscapes and contemporary art practices, generating an archeology of mediterranean culture having the Park of Scolacium as the epicentre of new cartographies and explorations. Archaeological sites are places where materiality and integrity still play a fundamental role.
Archaeological ruins, especially in southern Italy, risk to be taken as a given and that is why this residency, exploring ways of encounter between the fluidity and fragmentary of the digital and the “untouchable” and “sacred” ruins, wishes to disclose new ways of looking at archaeology. The artists are encouraged to work on their research and practice in a new and suggestive context without an imposed structure of a standard residency program. Artists are hosted, connected to archaeological sites, and provided with studio spaces.
For the 2021 residency, we propose three possible approaches to explore what does it mean to be “in ruins” and the ideas of proximity, futurity, and distance that this may imply:
– the archive as a metaphorical practice able to keep archeology a dynamic field of action, where the production of individual and collective narratives depends on the original assemblage and composition of units and fragments.
– archeological research as a political practice, where original approaches to space, time, and language allow to stretch, expand and erode historical references, coordinates, and timelines.
– individual histories as a tool to rewrite contemporary Mediterranean mythologies as a strategy to produce alternative forms of communal identity.
Residencies will last 10 days and take place between July and August, in accordance with the applicants’ availability. In-ruins will provide studio and living spaces in the proximity of selected archeological sites, and cover local transport costs. The final presentation of the research carried out over the residency will take place either at the Castle of Squillace or at the Parco Internazionale della Scultura in Catanzaro. This format may vary due to COVID-19 restrictions.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS:
TUESDAY, 25 APRIL 2021
Send your application to: email@example.com
Email object: 2021residency_yournameandsurname
Overall email weight: 10 mb
Applications are accepted in English and Italian.
– Under 35 years old;
– Portfolio + CV;
– Short statement explaining the reasons for the application (500 words);
– Proposal, list of required materials and preferred residency dates (500 words)
is a contemporary art magazine since 1980